Cambodian veterans receive payouts
BAC NINH — Sixteen savings books, worth VND15 million (US$765) and two others worth VND30 million ($1,530), were presented to 18 former Vietnamese volunteer soldiers who served in Cambodia.
The soldiers were given the money at an event that was organised by the Viet Nam-Cambodia Friendship Association and Phuong Hoang International Tourism Development Joint Stock Company.
The soldiers voluntarily joined and fought on Cambodian battlefields.
Severely burned child receives treatment
HCM CITY — Dinh Van Minh, 10, was in stable condition after undergoing treatment after sustaining severe burns on 90 per cent of his body, said Dr Nguyen Thanh Dat from the Children No2 Hospital.
The child was hospitalised on Monday. According to his family, the boy lit an oil lamp to study during a blackout, but then fell asleep and failed to notice when flammable materials were ignited by the lamp.
Restaurant charged with hygiene violations
CAN THO — The 16 Restaurant in Chau Thanh District of southern Hau Giang Province has been fined VND10 million (US$500) for violating food hygiene and safety regulations, chief inspector of the provincial Health Department Nguyen Thanh Giang said.
The restaurant delivered borax-contaminated fried fish and caused food poisoning in 86 workers of Phong Dat Co Ltd in southern Can Tho City’s Cai Rang District on December 23 last year.
The department also fined some grocery shops for selling borax-contaminated food and wine products and selling wine containing 40 per cent aldehyde, higher than the percentage written on bottle labels. — VNS